A Frog That Laughed At Me


I remember my first encounter with this cute tree frog was on the golf course. It called from way up in the branches of a Red Gum. I wasn't even sure it was a frog. It could have been a bird or small animal mocking me as I lined up a tee shot. But it left an impression, because the shot was a good one.

Laughing Tree Frog (Litoria peronii)
The Laughing Tree Frog (Litoria peronii) is a common tree frog found in South Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria, Australia.
It is kept as a pet; in Australia, this animal may be kept in captivity/zoo with the appropriate permit.

I next discovered it in my garden, where I was able to get some good photos and a video (above).

The call of Peron's tree frog is a high-pitched cackle, giving it the common names: the "laughing tree frog" and the "maniacal cackle frog". The frog is found in forests, woodlands, shrublands, and open areas, often far from a water source.

Laughing Tree Frog (Litoria peronii)
Peron's tree frog is one of the most variably coloured frogs in Australia, with the ability to change colour in less than one hour. It varies in shades of grey and brown, where its lightest is almost white. It has mottled yellow and black thighs, armpits, and groin with occasional emerald spots on the back. 
If kept as a pet, it can be housed in a terrarium, easily purchased online. I purchased this one from Petology just recently, and I'm very pleased with it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with a King

The Million Dollar Bird Flock

Searched for Nemo, but found a giant instead.